Tuesday 3 September 2013

A View from the Other Side

A month ago I was in Cuba. A vacation from a crazy 8 months. Along with one of my best friends Lor we had taken the opportunity to lie in the sun, eat bad food and get away from everything.
It was Tuesday Night, I had already been asleep for some time when I heard the thumping, followed by the yelling. One way yelling, all I could hear was his voice filling our room like he was standing there. 

Suddenly my chest felt tight, I couldn't breathe or move. I sat there in the humid darkness not knowing what to do.

Do I call 911? Is there 911 in Cuba? Do I call the front desk?

Do I exit my room and interrupt the confrontation hoping that the presence of a stranger stops it?

But I couldn't move.

I wasn't sure if he was yelling at a woman, or a man. His Wife, Son, Daughter, Stranger?

So I laid there, paralyzed. My mind racing through scenarios. Still, I couldn't move.

I lied there awake listening, thinking that maybe if I heard a "help me", or a scream it would provide me the courage to act. I never heard a thing.

At some point I heard a second man's voice, stern and calm. Then there was silence. And I understood. Those times when I wondered why no one knocked on my door, why no one called the police it's not as easy as it seems.

Even now I feel guilty, I feel sorry for that person who was on the receiving end of that man's words. I feel for her/him as objects flew at them or fists punched the wall.

I'm sure my neighbors felt like I did, helpless, and confused at what was going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment